A regular meditation practice has incredible, life-changing effects on both the body and mind. In meditation, brainwave patterns move into an alpha state, in which the mind and body become deeply relaxed and enter a space of rest that we don’t often experience. Meditation allows you to turn your focus inward and connect with your inner-self, and turn yourself away from external stimuli. Upon entering this state of heightened awareness, you begin to improve your overall well-being. The benefits you can experience from the practice are plentiful, but these are some of the top advantages of working meditation into your routine.
1. Increases Self-Awareness: It’s rare that we find the time to focus on just ourselves and nothing else, but meditation allows you to do just that. With consistent practice, you will start to know yourself on a deeper, more profound level.
2. Reduces Stress: By taking a moment to turn away from the outside world, you can do the necessary work to let go of stress. In meditation, you can cope with the stress you are currently experiencing, as well as learn to better handle it as it arises in the future.
3. Lowers Anxiety: The link between meditation and anxiety has been studied time and time again. Researchers have found that regular meditation helps people lower their levels of anxiety, and cope with the symptoms.
4. Improves Sleep Quality: Naturally, the reduction of stress and anxiety that comes with meditation, as well as the deep state of relaxation, makes the practice an excellent tool for improving your quality of sleep. Studies have found that those who meditate are able to fall asleep quicker and stay asleep longer than those who don’t meditate.
5. Decreases Blood Pressure: For those who suffer from high blood pressure, regular meditation can help maintain blood pressure levels. A study found that participants were able to reduce their blood pressure by five points on average with regular meditation.
6. Boosts Immune System: Along with a healthy diet and lifestyle, meditation can help you fight off any sickness that comes your way. The practice has been shown to boost your immune system, making you stronger against illnesses.
7. Helps Control Pain Levels: Sufferers from chronic pain may be able to find some release through meditation, particularly if the pain is tension related. Meditation has been shown to decrease perception of levels of pain, as well as help people cope with it.
8. Increases Energy Levels: If you are looking to get an energy boost without another cup of coffee, meditation may be your answer. When you enter a deep restorative and relaxing state in meditation, you are able to come out with more energy and focus.
9. Improves Mood: Meditation has been linked to an increase of serotonin, which is referred to as the “happy hormone.” This means an improvement in your levels of happiness and joy.
Meditation is an incredible form of self-care that improves and maintains the well-being of the mind, body, and spirit. It is incredibly accessible for anyone—you can practice easily at home, either through a meditation app, videos on YouTube, or just through disconnecting from the outside world and turning inward without guidance. The practice isn’t always easy to get used to at first, but once you get into the rhythm of the practice, you’ll begin to look forward to your daily sessions of peace.