A Healthy Tomato Cheddar Soup Perfect for Fall!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-28 ounce can Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Croutons, for garnish
- Cheddar cheese, for garnish
- Heat oil over medium heat, in large pot, add onions and cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add flour and stir for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat. Add tomatoes, crushing each into smaller pieces with your hand as you add; add remaining liquid from can and stir tomatoes into onion mixture until well combined. Add chicken or vegetable broth, milk and thyme; stir together well.
- Return to heat and bring to boil. Adjust heat to maintain simmer, cover pot and cook soup for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to be sure nothing is sticking to bottom of pot.
- Remove from heat. Remove and discard thyme stems. Add cheese a handful at a time, stirring each time until cheese is melted.
- Puree soup in blender in two batches until smooth. Return to pot. Season with salt and pepper.
Place over medium-high heat and stir until heated through. Serve topped with additional grated cheddar, plus croutons if desired.